Monday, July 2, 2007

New Toy Adventure

Friday afternoon, we did go to wait in line for that toy. It was scheduled to start selling at 6pm. Since there was a store nearby, which I was hoping wouldn't have too many people waiting, we set off to go there at around 4. We got there some 10 minutes later, and I was pleased. There wasn't a very long line. There was someone taking names and giving out numbers. We were #45. At 5 minutes to 6pm, we started inching through the distance towards the store. By 7, we were about 8 people away. There were rumors by then that stocks are running out. Add to that the pressure that I was expected to be somewhere else by 8. Uh-oh. Literally, so close and yet so far. 7:20, I got a call from J. His plane already arrived......20 minutes early! I figured between immigration stamping and baggage claim, I probably have another another hour or so. I can get to the airport in half an hour, so I figured, I'd wait my turn and still be there on time. But then, about five minutes after J's call, one buyer went out and they didn't let anyone in. Then the store manager went out to inform everyone that stocks are all out. They would accept pre-orders and have the item/s shipped out in about 3-5 days. One of the people in line checked the website and it said it can ship in 2-4 weeks. Darn. But then again, I figured, it might not be worth the wait if I end up waiting anyways. It might be a shorter wait, but I'd still be waiting. So, I decided to ditch the line, just go to the airport and order from the website once we get home. 2-4 weeks wouldn't be that long, and if I end up getting it somewhere else when it's available, I can always cancel my web order. And so, it was.

Saturday was D's birthday. The plan was that we go to Build-a-Bear, then have dinner at Applebee's. Unfortunately, the closest Build-a-Bear location was some 15 miles away to a mall we don't frequent. But since that was D's request, we didn't mind. We had lunch inside the mall, and walking back to Build-a-Bear, we passed by THE store. I am aware that that mall has THE store in it, but I was thinking, we were going there for D's birthday and there's probably going to be a line anyways. I wasn't going to waste time getting in line for THE toy and having them wait for me. But once we got to the store front, there was a very short line and everyone coming out had THE box. I asked one of the sales assistants if there was still any in stock, he said, there was only about 8 left. Darn. I quickly went in line, and by the time I got to the pay counter, there was only 4. I asked them if they can have my web order cancelled, but they said, I would have to call the online store. No big problem. I asked them if I can return the purchase if I end up not able to cancel the web order. As long as the box is still sealed, I can have a full refund. If I open the box, there would be a restocking fee. I went ahead with the purchase, and once I got out of THE store, I immediately called the online store. I told them I didn't have my web order number with me and I am still outside THE store branch. Thankfully, they facilitated the cancellation. I even asked for them to send me a confirmation email regarding the cancellation.

After the girls had accessorized their dolls, we headed back for home since J's jetlag is starting to set in. While the girls were playing, I was playing, too. I went on with the activation, which, although did not take just 5 minutes (more like an hour), was still a breeze. I was already on the network and merely needed to adjust my plan accordingly, so no problem there.

Although it is not perfect, it still is B-E-A-U-tiful! It has some shortcomings, which frankly, I was wondering if that had been an oversight because one would think is common to find, but then again, it does what it needs to do and more. I still don't feel bad about it being a bit exorbitant, I still think it is worth it. And have I said.....it's so pretty. The few ones who have seen it only had "Wow!" and "Cool!" to say, and one other is willing to forego a gaming console to purchase, too. I am not quite ready to reveal, lest I earn the ire of some (which, come to think of it, I probably deserve for talking in lengths about it.)

But, soon, dears, soon.

No comments: