Thursday, August 2, 2007

Comedy

Early Wednesday, J had a meeting around San Jose. Since he decided he wanted to drive, we tagged along just so we can split the drive between us. It was an almost 6-hour drive from LA to San Jose, and while I have no doubt (and we've done it before), that one person can do the whole drive by oneself, he had to be back home by Wednesday night/Thursday morning. It would be pretty stressful if he goes by himself.

He insisted he wants to take the wheel as long as he can so he can think -- we'd only change drivers when he's tired enough -- so we didn't take our usual mid-way stop. Our only concern was the kids' need to use the bathroom. And of course, we'd stop occasionally for coffee.

Along the I-5 freeway, there were stretches where there would be no gas or rest stops for 20 - 30 miles. Those weren't really of any concern to us since we'd already planned our previous trips perfectly so we wouldn't need to use any facilities while we are at that stretch. Since we didn't take our usual stops during this trip, I asked the girls if any of them had to go bathroom as we approached one gas station off the freeway. I was concerned, too, since below the "Fuel Next Exit" sign, there was also, "Next Gas - 30 miles." They said no, and I assumed it would be ok since it was only an hour since our last stop - we usually go 2 1/2 to 3 hours between stops. About 5 minutes after we passed the last exit, someone piped from the backseat, "Mommy, I need to pee." Uh-oh. "Next Gas - 30 miles" usually also meant no exit for 30 miles. We asked her if she can hold it a little longer, she ok'd; but 5 minutes later, she repeated her request.

J decided to pull over to the side and let A do her thing. As I pulled her pants down and was positioning her under cover of the rear passenger door, Jong opened the front passenger side window and said urgently, "Ma, may pulis! May pulis sa likod!" Oh, shit. In panic, I brought A back inside the car, still with her pants down. I guess the policeman saw and understood our predicament. There was a young lady in the car with the policeman and I saw them laughing. So, I brought A back out and let her relieve herself, by the side of the car on the side of the road, with a police car parked behind us. And I have to tell you, I was scared the policeman might suddenly walk over and hand us a ticket for....I don't know, leaving body wastes along the freeway?

When all was done and I was back in the car, the policeman drove off. It was only then that we got to laugh about it. It was quite an experience for us: we were scared, but then again, she had to go. Looking back, I guess the policeman stayed in case we needed assistance. It wasn't as if he turned on his warning lights after he parked there. Now I am looking forward to when we can tell A of what she put us in when she was young and needed to go on the freeway.

No comments: