Small World
So, in one of my classes, I meet this girl (AA) who had the same last name as one of my friends. They used to live in the same area in Manila, so I asked if they knew each other. They did -- said they went to the same high school, but that they weren't related. Small world? It gets smaller still.
AA said she went to the same university I did, but she shifted to a different campus and a different college. I said I knew a couple of people from that college, but she said she doesn't remember some of the names anymore. So, off the top of my head, I drop one of my best bud's name, RV, and my cousin, VV. AA said the names are familiar and that VV is related to them, maternally. Idiot me. I assumed, of course, that she meant her mom and VV's mom are related so I asked. She said she didn't know about that but that they were related to VV's dad. Ha. VV's dad is my mom's brother. So I told her that, and she said that Dr. V is her godfather. I asked which Dr. V -- Tito J or Tito D, because Tito D is my godfather as well. Turns out we even share the same godfather. She asks me then my mom's name and it turns out that our moms are first cousins! And I thought I have met all my mom's relatives!
Para tuloy akong nasa Parent Trap.
Update (5/4/08 22:40): Have talked with my aunt, and hindi pala moms namin ang first cousins. Sabi ng aunt ko, it was our grandmothers who were cousins but AA's side of the family were really close to my mom's family because they lived in my grandparents' house during the Japanese occupation in the Philippines. My aunt was pleasantly surprised and she said that the families used to be really close, having grown up together. Still, it isn't too late to foster relationships.


1 comment:
o diba? and now i bet you're best friends too :D
Post a Comment